From the topic, I know you are wondering if eco and keto are in any way compatible.
Can you imagine what happens when eco friendly eating combines with a fat-busting ketogenic diet?
While the ketogenic diet has been around for decades, it had its moments from 2018. This is because people argued that it was too restrictive and tough to maintain.
The main criticism of the keto diet was about its lack of sustainability and the fact that it is damaging the environment; this led to the development of eco-keto diet.
What is Eco-Keto Diet?
As its name suggests, the eco-keto diet follows the same principles as the keto diet of low-carb, high fat, but in a more eco-friendly way.
The Eco stands for eco-friendly because this diet does not involve consuming any meat products. Instead one should substitute it for plant-based proteins. The diet strives at minimizing the impact the diet can cause to the environment.
How Calories are Distributed in an Eco-Keto Diet
This diet prescribes different portions of calories you can eat to lose weight or maintain your healthy weight. They include;
- 31%of the calories should be from food rich in proteins like beans, nuts, seeds, lentils, soy and beans.
- 26% of the calories should come from fruits, vegetables and foods rich in carbohydrates like whole grains. Avoid consuming refined carbohydrates and processed foods.
- 43% of the calories should be from vegetable fats like coconut oil, canola oil and olive.
Important Points to Note when on Eco-Keto Diet
- Reduce or eliminate meat products.
- Ensure that you look for food that is sustainably raised and harvested.
- Reduce or eliminate dairy products like eggs.
- If possible try to source your food locally.
- Pick seasonal produce instead of out-of-season options.
- Instead of eating in a restaurant, cook your DIY foods when at home.
Healthy Benefits of Eco-Ketogenic Diet;
- Weight Management or Weight Loss
Eco-keto diet has proved to be very useful in helping people lose weight. The high levels of fibre in your foods will fill you up fast preventing one from overeating.
Having a high protein vegan diet will help you lose weight without having any severe effects on your heart or other parts.
- Feeling Full for Longer Hours
Due to the high fibre in the Eco-diet, the dieter will feel full for more extended hours. This is because they take longer to digest thus keeping you full. Foods rich in fibre include; vegetables, beans, legumes and whole grains.
- Helps in Controlling Diabetes
The Eco-Keto diet is based on legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables that can help people suffering from Type II diabetes. This is because a low carbohydrate diet can help lower insulin levels as well as the blood glucose in your body. Eco-diet helps to keep your blood sugar stable lowering your insulin levels.
In conclusion, the Eco-Ketogenic diet is a healthy weight loss or weight maintenance program that has proven to bear fruits. Pick your favourite Eco-Keto diet, be sensible in what you choose and stick to that diet!