Everything You Need to Know To Start the Keto Diet
Komorebi Post: Lately, Have you noticed when people are talking about dieting or weight loss, you must hear of keto diet or ketogenic?This is because ketogenic has become one of the most popular ways to improve health and shed off excess weight.So what is a ketogenic diet? It is a low-carb, high-fat diet where the body produces ketones in the liver to be used as energy. Ketogenic has been around for nearly a century, but it was initially used to treat people who have epilepsy. This diet is responsible for converting food in the body to energy, where the body burns fats instead of carbohydrates.
What does One Eat while on a Keto Diet?
It is imperative for one to plan when starting on the keto diet. This means that you have a schedule with a viable diet plan depending on what level you want to get into ketogenic state. Here is a list of what you should consume and avoid while on keto diet;
Eat from food groups like;
- Vegetables- above the ground vegetables, broccoli, Cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, olives, bitter greens. etc
- High-fat dairy- High fat cream, butter, hard cheese, organic grass fed cream, grass-fed ghee.
- Avocado and berries- blackberries, raspberries, and other low berries with low glycemic.
- Nuts and seeds- sunflower seeds, macadamia, walnuts.
- Sweeteners- Stevia, monk fruit, erythritol and other sweeteners with low carb.
- Leafy greens- Kales, Spinach
- Meats- Eggs, poultry, beef, fish, lamb, collagen peptides, organ meats, shellfish.
- Beverages- filtered water with lemon/lime, quality green tea, mineral water, bulletproof coffee from mold-free beans, bone broth, diluted coconut milk.
- Other fats- high-fat salad dressing, saturated fats, coconut oil, cocoa butter, cod liver oil, pastured lard, brain octane oil.
Avoid the following food groups;
- Tubers- yams, potatoes.
- Sugar- maple syrup, agave, honey.
- Grains-Wheat, corn, rice, cereals.
- Fruits- Oranges, banana, apples.
The Health Benefits of Ketogenic Diet
- Helps in losing weight
This, of course, is the main reason why people start keto diets. This is because your body actively burns fat when it needs more energy instead of looking for glucose.
When on this diet, both your insulin and blood levels drop. This allows the fat cells to release water they’ve been retaining.
- Controls appetite
Most people go on keto dieting to help them reduce their appetite. We all know that hunger tends to be the worst side effect of dieting.
Eating low carb dieting foods will automatically lead to a reduction in your appetite.
- Increase your energy levels
Your body must regularly refuel to maintain your energy levels. The body can store more fat, but when one is on a keto diet, it means that they will never run out of energy. When in ketosis you will find that you have energy throughout the day.
- High Mental Focus
Due to the inconsistency in your blood sugar levels, it’s hard for your brain to stay focused for long. When on a keto diet, your brain uses ketones as its source of fuel. This source is a consistent source of fuel, and this means that you can focus on a more extended period.
In conclusion, the keto diet is much more than a diet! Make it a lifestyle that you adapt to and note the healthy changes in your body. Check online for exceptional programs that will help one integrate keto into their loves.