In Italy, from September 14th, it will be easier to have a weapon at home: fewer restrictions and obligations to certify the possession will be enough an email. The obligation to notify family members or cohabitants as a requirement to obtain the license also disappears. Gazzetta Ufficiale published the legislative decree 104 of last August 10th with which Italy, the first nation to do so, adopts the European Directive 853/2017 (which modifies the previous EU directive 477/1991) making the legislation on possession less restrictive with arms legally held. Therefore, it will be easier to hold military-derived weapons (category B9 / A7) such as Kalashnikov Ak-47 and the Ar15 semi-automatic rifle.
A law strongly desired by Matteo Salvini who, at the fair dedicated to arms and hunting, had entered into an agreement with the lobby in favor of arms. In the document, the deputy premier was committed to reducing the restrictions on the possession of weapons.
The highlights and key points
- Increase from 6 to 12 of detachable sporting weapons.
• Increase to 10 for long arms and 20 for short weapons, blows allowed in shippers (today limited to 5 and 15 respectively).
• Reduction of the duration of the license to carry firearms for hunting/sporting use for 6 to 5 years.
• Sending the detention report to Carabinieri or the Police Headquarters also by mail, from a certified portal.
• No obligation to notify their partners of possession of weapons.
• Extension of the category of “sports shooters”, those authorized to buy “warlike” weapons such as Kalashnikov and Ar 15, which will now be accessible not only to members of the Federations of Coni but also to the members of the National Shooting (Tiro a Segno Nazionale)sections, to the members belonging to the amateur associations affiliated to CONI, as well as to the members of the shooting camps and private polygons (which include both serious plants and authentic armed bocciofile).
• Retroactivity to 13 June 2017 of the obligation to be sport shooters in order to hold weapons of category A6 (demilitarized) and A7 (weapons with central percussion with a loader over ten shots for a long weapon and twenty for a short weapon).
Statistics see Italians intimidated, despite the possession of weapons is adopted for personal security.
A turnover of 100 million euros
The National Association of Sporting and Civil Weapons and Ammunition Manufacturers (ANPAM) said: “A system that generates a total turnover of 100 million euros“.