The End of Friendship: Signs of a Toxic Relationship
Approaching the end of my campus education, I found myself trapped in a toxic friendship.
We all know that toxic friends come with a lot of burdens and negative energy. Toxic friends can drain all your happiness and fill your life with negative vibes.
When one is in a toxic relationship, it can be at times hard to tell. As for me, I didn’t realize my friend Amelia was toxic until later. I was best friend with this girl for four years, throughout our campus and a little after. We used to read, shop, party and do everything together. We even decided to pursue the same course in the university.
All was well. Months after college, I managed to get a job with a local bank. I was happy and shared the news with Amelia who seemed more happier than I was. Weeks later Amelia became very jealous and could even ignore my phone calls and messages. Her bitterness led her to spew ugly gossip about me to our friends.
As an understanding friend, I dealt with it for a while. However, it came to a point where I could not tolerate any further. I got real and had it out with Amelia. But, how would one recognize a toxic friend?
If you are wondering, whether your friendship with someone is toxic or not, look out for these signs below;
- They always have an angry attitude towards life- toxic friends will always be cynical about life and will try to see the bad side of everything.
- Toxic friends always gossip- they will always gossip about others or even about you to others.
- Always competing with friends- toxic friends will always compete and compare if you are treating them right like how other best friends are treated. Nothing you do together or to her will be enough.
- Always criticize- if your best friend is still acting self-righteous then it is time to ditch her! Toxic friends lack consistency in their words, and their words might make you feel small or embarrassed.
- They are covetous- this means that they are never happy with their friends’ success. If you are looking smart, they will not tell you because they feel jealous.
- Toxic friends are untrustworthy- you can never trust them with your secret. They will disclose all your secrets confined to them, and this destroys your relationship. The friend loses trust.
In conclusion, it is essential for everyone to note that not every friendship or relationship was meant to last. Sometimes there will always be a natural nature drifting you apart while there is an exact moment in which you know that your friendship is over. Most people lack the courage to let go, and this worsens the situation. Check out and recognize if you are in a toxic relationship by evaluating the signs above.
After that evaluate all your friendships, and if they are not healthy or adding value to your life, it’s time to cut those people out!